About Me

Robert SimpsonNeoTech Learning is my blog used to disseminate my teaching and learning resources. I currently work as a technology integration specialist in Malden Public Schools in Malden, Massachusetts.

I began working in the field of educational technology in 1999 as project director for a Preparing Tomorrow’s Teachers to Use Technology (PT3) grant. The focus of my grant activities involved training teachers to use laptop computers and build web-based Project-Based Units (PBUs). My PT3 work began at Tufts University, in the Department of Education (1999-2003) and continued at Salem State College, Department of Education (2003-2006). While at Tufts, I developed and managed the Project TEACH 21C website. The TEACH 21C site is no longer active, but you can view an archived version of the homepage through the Internet Archive’s WayBackMachine.

I’ve also been a web project manager working with the Tri-City Technology Education Collaborative (TRITEC) to develop the PBU Builder database. PBU Builder is a relational database that allows teachers from three school districts to share a common template for developing and managing PBUs. I conceptualized and managed the creation of two modules that expanded the PBU Builder site. The first module, the iGuide system, provides an interactive PBU overview so that teachers can easily understand them. (see Saugus Iron Works iGuide) The second, the PBU/MCAS alignment module, shows how individual test items from the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) exam align to PBUs.

Currently, I’m the Malden Teacher Learning Center director for Becoming America (2009-2014), a Teaching American History Grant project, focused on providing American history content to teachers and creating primary source-based lessons that use local area libraries, archives, national parks and historic sites. Becoming America is a continuation of Voices Rising (2006-2009).  Voices had its origins on my success collaborating with Malden teachers and administrators to build and implement the Saugus Iron Works PBU curriculum. Learn more about the SIW initiative by visiting the SIW PBU wikispaces.

The George Lucas Educational Foundation profiled the Ferryway School’s technology integration success with a ten minute video launched in June 2008.  Turning on Technology is a direct result of our participation in the HP Leadership grant program (2005-2007).  During the 2009-2010 school year, I  continued working with Ferryway teachers to implement a school-wide technology integration plan.  A major part of the plan included the launch of a school-wide private label wiki that provided wikis to all K-8 Ferryway teachers.  I’m also responsible for successfully implementing the Adobe Youth Voices program at the Ferryway middle school (2009-2012).  Students learned to create with purpose using the latest Adobe software solutions.  The Ferryway School’s Adobe Youth Voices wiki was used to post lesson materials, share resources, and provide easy access to student portfolios.  During the summer of 2011, Ferryway was invited to send a team to the International Adobe Youth Voices Summit in San Jose, CA.  One student’s reflections on the value of learning to be a creator of digital media was highlighted in the NEA’s online magazine article, Time is On Their Side.

My professional goals are:

• to help teachers make intelligent choices about what technologies they use to motivate their 21st century students
  • promote good models of curriculum/technology integration
  • document the impact of technology integration on student achievement

-Robert
View Robert Simpson's profile on LinkedIn

cert_banner

Click to see courses that I’ve completed.

A sampling of my photos capturing the impact of technology integration at the Ferryway School.  Please note, school districts that block Flickr will prevent the pictures from loading.